Pages



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb
Psalm 139:13

Monday 24 September 2012

trimming a bonnet

"She vowed at first she would never trim me up a new bonnet, nor do anything else for me again, so long as she lived; but now she is quite come to, and we are as good friends as ever." 
Sense and Sensibility
It was a two scissor job.

There comes a time in a girl's life when she finds herself, at 2 o'clock in the morning, eating leftover Chinese takeaway and trimming a bonnet.  While I'm pretty sure this is something Jane wouldn't do, (she'd be far more organised, and ne'er a slave to fashion) I was pretty chuffed when a friend commissioned me to rustle up a suitable chapeau for Bath's annual Jane Austen Festival.   



With ribbon, vintage lace and a whole load of bias binding, I set about transforming a straw hat.  Here's how I got on in those bleak small hours.  


The continually brilliant Lizzie Bennet Diaries was a helpful companion throughout, as was this resource.  

Certain shades of limelight can wreck a bonnet's complexion

Et voila!

It's only me that can see that big ol' crease, right?

You know what?  I may be a little Jane'd out after all that.  But I loved it.  Any late night milliners out there got some tips about bonnets?

2 comments:

  1. This is so cute! Well done lady :) xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a bonnet for the first time quite last minute for the JA festival this year...I think if I go again I'll have to make a proper one rather than just soaking/shaping a straw hat and sewing random trimming on. lol!
    I think your bonnet looks quite handsome.

    ReplyDelete

penny for your thoughts . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...