Pages



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb
Psalm 139:13

Monday 13 April 2015

Bright beginnings and WIP realness




Oh, I'm good at beginnings. I'm really good at beginnings. 
They are my forte, my speciality, my signature dish, if you will. Once a new idea makes itself known,  I'm scrabbling for a notebook or ball of yarn with all possible enthusiasm. With a fresh project on my needles or hook, an irrepressible mania takes hold and I SIMPLY MUST work on it ALL THE TIME. Unfortunately, this fervour only goes so far and seems to fuel the beginnings of a lot of projects, but very few endings. You see, I'm more of a WIP girl than a FO girl. 

As such, I'm currently in the middle of making two blankets, a hat, a shawl, a pair of socks, and a jumper. And that's to say nothing of the other projects I'm intending to start before I even think about finishing the others (who's going to give the Crafts from the Cwtch Make-along a go? I'm already got a knitted shawl in mind - it'll be my first!). 

While I know a groaning WIP pile is fairly common and only marginally reprehensible in the grand scheme of things (let's get some perspective here, First World problems, right?), I'm not proud of the fact that I'm really just neglecting projects I once adored. Why shouldn't a middle and end be just as exciting as a beginning? Let's face it, endings are pretty exciting in their own right. Have you experienced that unique FO euphoria when your stitches are all completed and your project is finally blocked and worn or wrapped, given away and happily received? There's nothing quite like it.

It's like a romance. My thinking is that, like any relationship, it's worth keeping in mind what had you smitten from the off. Think back. Instead of a pair of eyes you couldn't ignore, perhaps it was a totally rad colour combo (those shades were meant to be!), a stunning stitch pattern begging to be realised or the yarn that you soooo wanted to be able to wear draped around you as a shawl.

So I think rather than letting panic determine the pace of a project, or slowly allowing my enthusiasm to wane, I'll focus on my end goal for the project, while along the way remembering precisely why I was utterly bewitched by it in the first place. I fully intend to develop enormous and embarrassing crushes on each and every one of my projects from here on in. Are you in love with yours?

Today's post is my second in the Playful Day Love Your Blog challenge. Read about it here


12 comments:

  1. Just like me!! :-)
    I never get round to finishing my WIPs especially if they are for me! But let's get some staying power and try to finish a few this year! X
    (Sorry if you get this twice - not sure if it worked the first time! X)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill, yes, it's always simpler to just prioritise gifts instead. Hope you'll make something for you soon! :) x

      Delete
  2. Oh I can relate to this... I am totally into the beginnings, rather than the middles and ends! I have so many projects which are finished but I haven't sewn in ends/blocked etc. I could probably fill a whole month of blog time if I got around to it!

    I'm delighted that you've given the make-along a shout out - thank you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urg, I think my deep-rooted disdain of sewing up and weaving in ends is part of the struggle! Look forward to stitching along in May! :)

      Delete
  3. I always have a number of WIPS - I justify it (does such a thing need justifying?!) by having a smaller, portable project (currently favouring knitting socks) along with a less portable project (king size crocheted blanket for a friend's wedding) as well as numerous other things that take my fancy! I agree, though, it is so very satisfying to get an item finally, finally, finally finished and on its way to its new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm with you on that - a few small projects for knit club or the commute, then bigger things that are sofa-only! :) x

      Delete
  4. I know them feels! all manner of WIPS on the go - though I must admit I've made myself into more of an FO girl recently, which feels pretty great, but then again so does starting new projects! :D don't let it get you down though you have the right attitude for certain, enjoy what you are doing :) jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jenny! Going to work on learning to love the whole process, not just the initial excitement or the final outcome. Here's hoping! :) x

      Delete
  5. I love the pre-beginning planning before casting on, but I have to admit I don't enjoy the actual start of a project that much. Once I'm a few rows in, I get into my flow and enjoy it much more. So I think I'm a middles kind of girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I need to know your middle-loving secrets!!! :) x

      Delete
  6. " I fully intend to develop enormous and embarrassing crushes on each and every one of my projects from here on in."
    Oh, I love this! Yes! definitely :) I used to have a truly ridiculous number of things on the go at once, and it's really only been in the last month or so that I've forced myself to slow down and get things done. Truthfully, I don't find the middle as exciting, and while I like the end, there are times when it feels so far off as to be mythical.

    But I love how you've phrased this, and am definitely going to use it to spur me on, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Laura, this has made my day! *Blushes* I'd love to have that sentence as some sort of awesome motivational poster for when I inevitably lose enthusiasm

      Delete

penny for your thoughts . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...