Pages



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb
Psalm 139:13

Sunday 18 November 2012

The Big Bath Knitathon


I somehow wangled Saturday off, which meant one thing and one thing only - I went to the Big Knitathon event in Bath!  It was a world record attempt, organised by the Big Issue Foundation, to assemble the most knitters knitting simultaneously.     

We assembled at St Michael's in the afternoon and began knitting squares.  Some seasoned knitters were churning out what seemed like dozens of the things.  I saw speed knitting, diagonal knitting, circular needles and glittery yarn.  It's going to be one heck of a blanket.  once all the squares are stitched together, the plan is for the blanket to be on display to highlight the issue of homelessness.  

Lovely knitters Kim and Brigitta getting stuck in on those squares!

Becky and Nina trade knit knowledge

There were knitters of all ages, and I did spot a few chaps too.  It was a great opportunity to meet my friendly neighbourhood knitters, and so much fun trading knitting stories.  I met Betsan of Stitchlinks who explained a bit about the therapeutic properties of knitting, and the effect it can have on stress levels.  I also learnt that the thumb casting on method is not to be sniffed at, and socks can be addictive!  I feel a little less afraid about knitting in the round.     

Two hours in and I finally finished a square!

Frances in stitches
All in all it was a brilliant afternoon.  Doing something small that was part of something bigger. The event in Bath drew about 60 knitters, but there were events all over the UK and beyond.  There was even a knitathon in Paris!  It certainly made me think twice about the way the Big Issue works and how really it's about individuals and taking small steps.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

penny for your thoughts . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...