Pages



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb
Psalm 139:13

Wednesday 28 November 2012

bonnet boom

"I shall wear a large bonnet, and bring one of my little baskets hanging on my arm.  Here, -- probably this basket with pink ribbon."

Emma
Jane Austen







I was commissioned to trim some more bonnets!  This time a couple of Austen-style bonnets for little ones.  I used straw hats for the bases again, trimmed with bias binding and lovely grosgrain ribbon.  They're covered with vintage cotton in cute floral prints.  Considering the sewing machine threw a bit of a wobbly so they're hand stitched, I'm pretty pleased with them.  

I even used the melty technique for the first time to stop the ribbon ends fraying. Just trim your ribbon ends diagonally, then hold over a flame (think candle/lighter, not bonfire) for a few seconds so it melts a little, forming a seal.  No more fraying!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

penny for your thoughts . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...