Pages



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb
Psalm 139:13

Tuesday 1 August 2017

8 inspiring podcasts for creatives



For me, listening to a podcast has the same sweet, immersive escapism as getting lost in a good book. It's a chance to get your mind to halt its frantic whirring for a little while and focus on something else instead. If I'm gym-going (pah!), walking to the office or stitching away at my To Be Adorned desk, I'll always whack a podcast on. It's like minimal-effort multitasking. Here's what's been in my ears lately. What do you love listening to? I want your recommendations!

This is one of those 'why didn't I already know about this?' kinda podcasts. You NEED to give it a listen. Blogger and Instagram duchess (you're probably already following her as @meandorla) Sara Tasker shares really valuable and honest insights on creative social media for bloggers, small biz folks and anyone who loves Insta. Without the spambots. She's had some stellar guests on already and I always come away feeling encouraged and with some practical ideas to try. 

Host Tara Swiger is from a yarny background, so I instantly knew her podcast would be my cup of tea. On this weekly podcast, she talks business – frank advice and insights for creative folks who are selling their stuff. She's not afraid to talk money and numbers, or to give out some tough love, but it's always passionate, jargon-free and encouraging. I've not been listening to this one for long, but I've already found it really helpful for my Etsy side hustle in terms of goal-setting, social media and audience. Ooh, and Tara often posts Instagram live vid while she's recording the podcast, so you can get a bit more interactive with it. 

Pardon My French
In a series of inspiring interviews, plus giggly chats with her Atelier Dore team, Garance Dore talks all things lifestyle. I'd long been a fan of Garance's beautiful illustrations and blog, so I kind of freaked out when I realised there was a podcast, too. This one's my go-to for walking to work. Garance has a brilliant warmth and honesty to her, so you feel like you're listening in on a natter between friends. My favourite guests so far have been Linda Rodin and Elle McPherson.

Get It On
Dawn O'Porter is #bobgoals AND she's way into vintage fashion, so I gave it a listen and it quickly became one of my faves. Each episode she talks to a pal (usually of the showbiz variety) about their personal style. Rather than being super-fashiony, it's more about why people wear what they wear. And it's a riot. When I'm laughing out loud with my headphones on, it's probably because I'm listening to this. After hearing this, you'll probably have urges to ransack your wardrobe for the brightest thing in there. Or maybe that's just me? 

She's a deep thinker, that Tavi Gevinson. I loved her Style Rookie blog and really admire her Rookie mag work (although maybe I'm too old now?!). It very much feels like an audio version of the online magazine, which is fantastic. It's aimed at teens, but feels relevant for everyone. Also, there's a WINONA episode. I WISH Rookie had been around when I was a teen.

Blogtacular superwoman Kat MOLEsworth (you'll know what I mean when you listen in!) hosts this  natter with indie business owners and bloggers. You could say it's an extension of the Blogtactular conference, with an aim of inspiring and connecting bloggers and content creators. It's in interview format, but Kat also answers listener questions as part of the show, which is so useful! My favourite episodes have featured Kristabel, The People Shop and Nikki McWilliams

Magic Lessons
Eat, Pray Love and Big Magic author Elizabeth Gilbert talks about finding passion, purpose and inspiration. She's all about exploring the soul connection we have with creativity and how to overcome what stands in the way of us doing our thing. And it gets pretty emotional, you guys. There haven't been any new episodes in a while, but there are plenty to catch up on. 

The Cheerful Visit
Prepare yourself for some VERY Texan accents. I heard about this podcast via One Social Girl. It's a faith-based show for creatives hosted by Pollen Events florist Andi. With an emphasis on living out your calling with integrity, Andi interviews fellow makers about their creative journeys and what keeps them encouraged. 


1 comment:

  1. I really love Magic Lessons! I devoured all of them and wish there were more.

    I'd like to recommend "Your Creative Push" by Youngman Brown. He interviews creatives about their work and process. I've gotten a lot out of it.

    ReplyDelete

penny for your thoughts . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...