Pages



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb
Psalm 139:13

Saturday 10 May 2014

yarnbombing and almost millinery



Aloha, folks. Bath in Fashion kicked off this week, and I was chuffed to find Emma Leith's yarnbomb roses cropping up all about the place. So pretty! (Remember when I made these?).
Maybe you spotted them? 

On Sunday afternoon I popped along to the vintage fashion fair at the market for a good old wander. I spied some deliciously retro granny square blankets. I just don't get why anyone would get rid of a handmade blanket. I mean, really. 



And who should be at the vintage fair but fabulous milliner lady Mary Jane Baxter. With her snazzy, doily-covered van. She showed me and my pal Lily how to make pretty tissue paper corsages and explained how we could make flower crowns with them. We chatted glue guns and sewing and I bought a copy of her beautiful book The Modern Girl's Guide to Hatmaking

Guys, I'm pretty excited about hats right now. Yup, I wanna make all the things. Mary Jane was lovely and so encouraging - she even pointed out some simpler projects that would be good to start with. And here she is with some of her gorgeous makes. Thanks for your hat hints, Mary Jane! Have you guys ever done any millinery? Any advice could be welcome! 



So, I came away with a book, a pretty corsage and some cute vintage buttons (if you squint you can kinda make out Noddy in his red and yellow car. He's waving). Oh, and a whole lotta inspiration. Phew! 

P.S. Mr P doesn't think it would be safe for humanity if I was let loose with a glue gun. We'll see. 

1 comment:

  1. Gosh your lovely photo's of Bath make me nostalgic.
    I did a spot of hat making at college, twas a whole lot of fun, I got hot glue on my hands, it's no worse than batik wax. x

    ReplyDelete

penny for your thoughts . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...