Pages



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb
Psalm 139:13

Saturday 15 February 2014

vintage sweaters



"Becca, do you want these?"
"What are they?"
"Jumpers knitted from vintage patterns."
"Um, yes please!"

A few weeks ago there was a serious clear out at work and these two beauties appeared on my desk (as if by magic). A gorgeous beaded, zip-up gold number and a rain-coloured, subtly stripy one. They're both knitted up from 1940s knitting patterns with yummy modern-day yarns. 


With a nipped-in waist and prominent shoulders, this one has a real 1940s silhouette. The bobbles, the wide ribbing and THAT beading! This is a real treasure. I may need to replace my pencil skirt to do this one justice. It was worked in Scrumptious by Fyberspates - a thoroughly delicious hand dyed silk and Merino yarn. I've never splashed out on it before, but it is my dream yarn for a garment. 


Note to self: in future, move stray socks out of shot and wear non-hideous jeans.

I totally love the land girls vibe of this unassuming jumper, I feel like a super-cosy, wool-clad wonderwoman in it. It sits comfortably on the waist, has an unusual angular neckline and is soooo warm. I'm not sure what yarn was used for this one. Maybe Mirasol's Sami? It's definitely a wool. Do let me know if you recognise it!


I've always liked the idea of knitting a vintage pattern, but I think I'll work on finishing my first ever basic jumper first! Have you ever knitted vintage? This lady seems to be a bit of a whiz when it comes to this kind of thing, and www.susancrawfordvintage.com is a fab resource for all knitty things vintage.  


1 comment:

  1. Gosh, that beading is beautiful! I love items that have an extra special touch like that.

    ReplyDelete

penny for your thoughts . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...