Pages



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb
Psalm 139:13

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Royal Wedding - lace, Grace and THAT dress






Fabulous Kate and Wills illustration by Gemma Milly.  I spied it here in Amelia's Magazine. 


lace invading my sketchbooks

I've been having my own little romance with lace for a while now, so I was thrilled when Kate emerged; every inch the princess, in her beautiful McQueen gown.  Sumptous folds of satin, a sweetheart neckline and a covering of lace. Somehow she looked modest, but still showed off her fabulous figure.  My favourite details were the satin gathers on the back and the tiny pearl buttons at her wrists, which were echoed on Pippa's dress.  I guess veils will be big news too now; a return to the traditional, but with none of the 80's flounce.  Goodbye tulle!


Lace Grace Kelly's knockout gown
Sarah Burton for McQueen; clearly a star, but it looks like we owe a lot to Princess Grace too for this dress, even down to the pearl buttons, and lace edging on the veil.  Grace Kelly is pretty much the definition of elegance, so you can't go wrong aiming for a bit of her classic beauty.     

I was surprised how caught up I got in all the excitement and romance of the Royal Wedding, but it was a lovely day.  We got all British with it, putting on our best frocks and having tea, then Pimms in the park and the Bootleg Beatles!  And of course pipe-cleaner tiaras, because that's how classy we are.   Lovely. 

1 comment:

  1. That is a beautiful illustration! So fun! I'm your newest follower :) Just love this little bloggy!

    ReplyDelete

penny for your thoughts . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...