Pages



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb
Psalm 139:13

Friday 10 September 2010

Prada dreams, Primark budget




Incredible. Even though it nestled on the floor with a basket of silk scarves, it still caught my eye. It was in slouchy tan mock-croc, with a buckle fastened front, and a long handle. That’s right, it was a handbag. But that’s not all, oh no. It was vintage Mulberry. And I touched it.

Alas, an £89 price tag was a good £89 too dear for me. The impossibly tall shop assistant was friendly nevertheless, and we agreed that recent Mulberry was far too shiny. I was thinking of a black patent ‘Bayswater’ I’d seen, all showy liquorice lustre. She asserted too, in her red-lipsticked, pleated-front-trousered way, that Mulberry bags of late had all gone a bit Chloe-ish anyway. It thought it best to leave. On my way out I spotted a pristine monogrammed Chanel wallet, almost big enough to be a clutch. I touched that too.

My bittersweet handbag torture was not over yet though. I thought I’d be safe in M&S, but then I spotted more beauties. Well, in ordinary terms they are quite reasonably priced. Maybe I’ll save up.

Either way, I’d had enough. To save my sanity I headed to the library, where things are free! Loaded with books I headed for home. My blatantly-cheap-high-street-and-not-a-teensy-bit-vintage brogues were starting to rub anyway.
Images - (thanks Google) An M&S bag, and Alexa Chung sporting shiny shiny Mulberry.

1 comment:

  1. One day I will buy you those hot pink Moschino brogues and vintage Mulberry bag.
    This is a day when I will be very rich.
    You might wanna keep waiting...
    dum de dum *twiddles thumbs*

    ReplyDelete

penny for your thoughts . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...