Pages



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb
Psalm 139:13

Wednesday 20 July 2016

sustainable style and where to find it




You know and I know that this isn't a fashion blog, but I'm a charity shopping, clothes swapping girl at heart and I think keeping integrity in mind when buying anything is really important. Lately, I've seen a couple of fantastic bloggers putting more of an emphasis on sustainability in a really exciting way, so when ethically-minded online store Uncommon Goods (they're fab for personalised gifts, check them out here) approached me to take a look at their latest collections, it seemed like the perfect way to dig into this idea a bit more. Here are some of my new-found favourites for sustainable shopping, browsing and inspiration.

When it comes to ethical brands, a few spring to my mind immediately - People TreeTraidcraftDecorator's Notebook, but have you shopped at Uncommon Goods? As well as stocking organic, recycled and handmade products, they have a sustainable approach to all areas of their business. This includes paying fair wages, working with suppliers to ensure environmentally and socially responsible production, and customer-directed donations to non-profit organisations. They have a brilliant blog as well where you can get to know more about their makers and staff and find helpful design inspiration and tips. 

And this ethical approach isn't at the expense of style, oh no. Their selection of gifts, accessories and homeware is definitely design-led, fun and unique. If you're after birthday gifts, take a look here.
The crafty supplies and quirky treats caught my eye straight away - these are a few of my favourites. 


1. Double Bluebird Yarn Bowl
2. Blooming Spoons Necklace
3. Library Card Socks
4. Literary Candles

There are loads of super-cute gifts for baby, too – have a nose here. Eyes peeled for the knitted sloth mobile!

For sustainable style inspiration, where better place to start than with a hashtag? #slowfashion (or any of its many variations) is pretty broad, but will help you track down fab handmade stuff, plus bloggers and brands you may not have come across before.

#ethicalfashioncollective is a brilliant hashtag to search on Instagram or Twitter to find like-minded, planet-loving folks blogging and posting about (you guessed it) ethical fashion. I've found this really handy in terms of discovering which high street brands are the most ethically sound. Take a look! 



Images from The Owl and the Accordion

Said hashtag was dreamt up by bloggers Mel Wiggins and Vicky Haynes. I've long been a fan of Vicky's The Owl and the Accordion blog and love her pattern-tastic, wearable style and her dedication to affordable, sustainable fashion. There are also some super pin-able craft tutorials on her blog, too (I'm bookmarking the wreaths for winter)! Definitely a place to go for inspiration.

Image from Chic Ethique

Chic Ethique by Lauren is another blog you need to check out for beauty and fashion. She shares my love of knitting and Jane Austen, and I really admire her feminine, less-is-more ethical style. Oh, and she has SUCH dreamy Insta feed! I mean…


And a shoutout to Vikki of Susty Girl is a must (we totally went to the same uni, she's a sweetheart) - stop by for the latest sustainability news (including fashion), blogger and indie business motivation and fantastic practical tips for sustainable living. It's pretty empowering stuff. I always learn something new when I have a read. 

Image from Susty Girl

I'd love to know if ethical style is your thing. Where do you shop and find inspiration?


Disclaimer: While I was compensated by Uncommon Goods for this blog post, all opinions are my own and based on my personal experience.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing my blog Becca! I'm so excited to check out all of these amazing links!
    -Lauren
    http://www.chic-ethique.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, you're so welcome! Thanks for your lovely pics! :)

    ReplyDelete

penny for your thoughts . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...