Pages



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb
Psalm 139:13

Monday 25 January 2016

Selfish Sweater KAL Miette update


I've been knitting and knitting and knitting and now Miette has started to look like an actual thing! My Selfish Sweater KAL 2016 project is still on the needles, of course, but the sleeve bits are waiting patiently on their waste yarn, the bust shaping is done and the stitch markers are off. It's brilliant that I can try it on as I work as well, though Mr P is none too impressed with the related trying-on capering, which obviously involves much silly whooping and excitement. Well, it is my first garment after all. 

I did have a hiccup earlier on in the pattern when my stitch count mysteriously went a bit squiggly, but the incomparable Faye did some sums and got me back on the straight and narrow.     


The achievability and simplicity of the project are what I've really been enjoying, as well as how quickly it's been growing. If I'd known garments could be this straightforward, I'd have knitted one long before now! So far the yarn has been behaving, too - smooth and not splitty at all. I've just started on the fourth ball.  

I must confess I am a bit apprehensive about the neckband and buttonbands that are to follow. I've only ever done these once and that was on a baby cardi. But this is how we learn, right? Gotta get stuck in there and give it a go. Having said that, please do share any neckband/buttonband wisdom!

What are you working on at the mo? 
Doing any special makes for yourself now we're into the new year?

Also, I LOVE these socks. For real. 

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Kat, I was really inspired by your lovely WIP pics! :) x

      Delete
  2. Th sweater looks great, and I love that poppy colour. If you have done button bands for a baby sweater, then you've got this- it's just bigger, but basically the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, I don't ever wear bright red so it's new ground for me! Exactly, how hard can it be? :) x

      Delete
  3. Fabulous colour! I find sticking pins in at regular intervals helps with picking up stitches for button bands. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good tip, thanks Leah! Will give that a go when I get to it! :) x

      Delete
  4. I always dread button bands and then once I've got started I wonder what I was stressing about. It's like anything, a little bit of planning and it all goes smoothly. Good luck, looking good so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, thank you - that's very encouraging! Will be posting my progress. :)

      Delete
  5. "If I'd known garments could be this straightforward, I'd have knitted one long before now! " That is exactly how I feel right now as well. I'm still knitting my jumper, but it is nearly there. I am a few inches away from the hem and then have the sleeves left to do.

    Being able to try your knitting on as you go is ideal. I'm still worried about my hip increases, though, and won't know if they are right until I finish. Scary! I don't want to undo it all the way up to the waist again because I intend to finish the jumper by mid-March. I better hurry!

    Good luck with the neck and button band! You will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nadia, exactly! Wish I'd figured it out sooner! Will be keeping my eyes peeled for your jumper progress. I loved the design you picked. It's the unknown that's scary, isn't it? Here's to facing our knitting fears in 2016! :) x

      Delete
  6. Looking lovely so far, the colour suits you so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tahnee, I barely have any red in my wardrobe, so this is a fairy new venture for me! :)

      Delete
  7. This is looking AMAZING! Love top down patterns, it is so exciting to try them on as you go. Knitting a bottom up sweater at the moment and trying it on is a lot more challenging!

    Look forward to seeing it finished!

    xx

    Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sol, thank you! I'd definitely be inclined to go for a top down construction for my next knit - I love how you can really see it coming together! :)x

      Delete

penny for your thoughts . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...