Pages



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb
Psalm 139:13

Thursday 5 September 2013

Summer of Making: why happy goals rock & craft guilt sucks



So, how did we do?
Well, The Summer of Making certainly shook things up. Although I didn't quite manage to average a project a week, having that goal definitely boosted my craft productivity. I realised that while it's important to have goals, those goals must be realistic. Yes, I would have loved to have been able to knit those socks, upcycle that lamp and share the outcomes with you guys, but I am pretty chuffed with what I did manage to achieve. I'm saying goodbye to craft guilt!

I've definitely been through lulls where I've never felt less creative and I'm not inspired to make a single stitch, but that's okay. It's supposed to be fun. If you're not going to enjoy it, or you're just doing something because you think you should, not because you want to, don't do it. While Pinterest and blogs can be inspiring, they shouldn't make you feel inadequate. I say make what you love when you want to and because you want to. (Please remind me of this next time I feel I NEED to start 10 zillion projects RIGHT NOW). Handmade is slow, that's part of its charm. It's odd that we sometimes feel we should be doing all of the things all of the time.

Having said that, sometimes it's good to have the boost that a little craft productivity brings - mindless, tiny or slow-burning projects that you can add to whenever you like. Making sure I had a little craft time while I was studying really helped (see: Sanity Squares). Yes, I may never finish that blanket, but it's happy and bright and sometimes it grows. And anyway, who's judging? Really, I just want to be able to occasionally say, hey, I made a thing. 

Do you have any productivity and craft guilt feels? Are you a fan of the ol' slow-burner?

1 comment:

  1. I guess preparing for your wedding at the SAME time is a big enough project in itself you crazy cat!

    ReplyDelete

penny for your thoughts . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...